Komentar

Making Your Own Yoghurt

About 4 1/2 years ago I met a lady at a bakery.  It was closing time and we were there to pick up the left over bread to give to needy people.  It was the first time I'd met this lady.as she was filling in for a friend.  We started talking about things we make from scratch.  I said I had a yoghurt maker and loved making yoghurt cheaper than store bought.  She told me about a website called The Cheapskates Club where you could find a recipe for making one litre of yohurt for about $1.  As soon as I arrived home I just had to check out the website.  I've been a member ever since and the rest is history. 

I never saw that lady again but I'll be forever grateful for passing on such valuable information.

The recipe below is my adapted version of the Cheapskates one.  I hope you enjoy it.


2 tablespoons of natural yoghurt
1 1/2 cups of full cream powdered milk
dash of vanilla extract
4 tablespoons of sugar ( optional if you don't want t sweet )
tap water
boiled water

As you boil the kettle, put tap water into the Easiyo container up to the 500 ml mark ( the one you make the yoghurt in, not the thermos part )
Add milk powder, natural yoghurt, sugar and extract.
Blend with a hand blender
Top up the container to the 1 litre mark with tap water
Put lid on and hand shake
Fill Easiyo thermos to the top of the red insert with boiled water
Put cthe yoghurt ontainer in and put thermos lid on
Leave on the bench for 10 - 12 hours
Take container out and put in fridge. 
NOTES -This yoghurt keeps for up to two weeks after it's made. 
 If you are making it unsweetened,  once it's set,  save two tablespoon of the yoghurt and freeze it to start another batch.  
 Flavour can be added by using jams,  toppings and pureed fruit once it's been made.
Full cream milk powder must be used for it to set.  Low fat milk powder doesn't have enough fat.  

The Easiyo system retails for about $20 and can be bought at Big W and Woolworths.  It makes a fantastic present for all occasions.


 
Making Your Own Yoghurt Making Your Own Yoghurt Reviewed by Anonymous on December 01, 2014 Rating: 5

No comments: